Government Benefit Schemes


We have taken the latest information from the website and restructured the sequencing under two headings:

– Carers and Disability Benefits, and
– Advice and Support.

The information is posted below with links to the further information from the official government source.

For most people this will only be a start to asking for the specific detail relevant to their individual circumstances, but our hope is that, at least, you will know enough from this to ask whether such a benefit is relevant for your needs and circumstances.

Carers and Disability Benefits

Personal Independence Payment

From 8 April 2013, a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged 16 to 64.

    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
      Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free benefit which is going to be replaced by the Personal Independence Payment (see above).  It’s for disabled children and adults – the link shows what you’ll get, eligibility, applying, and the connection to Personal Independence Payment.
    • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) rates
      For those who still get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) it is paid at different rates depending on how their disability affects them.  This link shows what the rates were/are.
    • Disability benefits helpline
      This helpline gives contact information for Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance claim queries.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is money to help pay for your personal care if you’re 65 or over and disabled – the link shows eligibility criteria, how to apply and more.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance can help if you look after someone who needs to be cared for – the link shows what you’ll get, eligibility, how to apply.

Carer’s Allowance Unit

Contact information for Carer’s Allowance Unit, telephone number and address.

Carer’s Credit

Carer’s Credit helps carers build up National Insurance contributions for State Pensions – what you’ll get, eligibility and how to claim.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), if you can’t work because of illness or disability – the link shows rates, eligibility, how to apply and other details.

Incapacity Benefit

Incapacity Benefit will be taken over by Employment and Support Allowance (above).  Incapacity Benefit is help if you couldn’t work because of an illness or disability before 31 January 2011 – the link shows rates and changes to Incapacity Benefit.

Severe Disablement Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance is being phased out – people with severe disabilities can get Employment and Support Allowance instead.

Independent Living Fund

The Independent Living Fund (ILF) provides funds to help disabled people live an independent life, it’s closed to new applications – the link shows criteria and reviews of existing applications.

  • Access to Work
    Access to Work –  to help you when a disability or health condition affects the way you do your job – the link shows what you’ll get, eligibility, how to apply.
  • Disability Premiums (Income Support)
    A disability premium is extra money if you’re under 60 with health problems that stop you from working – the link shows what you get, eligibility, how to apply.

Blind Person’s Allowance

Blind Person’s Allowance is an extra amount you can earn before paying tax – the link shows what you’ll get, eligibility and applying.

Coal health compensation claims

Compensation schemes for British Coal and National Coal Board miners and pneumoconiosis, vibration white finger (VWF), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) – the link shows how to claim.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants help towards the costs of making changes to your home so you can continue to live there.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

Apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) if you have a disability or mental health condition that affects your ability to study – who qualifies and how much you can get.

Reduced Earnings Allowance

Reduced Earnings Allowance can help if your income falls because of a work-related accident or disease – the link shows what you’ll get, eligibility and how to claim.

Vaccine Damage Payment

A Vaccine Damage Payment is a one-off tax-free payment of £120,000 if you’re severely disabled as a result of vaccination against certain diseases – the link shows what you’ll get, eligibility and applying.

Financial help if you’re disabled

The full range of help available – the link shows benefits, allowances, Motability, vehicle tax, housing costs, TV Licence, Council Tax.

Advice and Support

What to do if you become disabled

What happens if you become disabled – the link shows registering as a disabled person, benefits, your rights, help from your council and your employer’s responsibilities.

Work Choice

Work Choice can help you get and keep a job if you’re disabled and find it hard to work – the link shows help you can get, ans how to join the scheme.

Help if you have a disabled child

If you have a disabled child, find out what your rights are and what support you can get, including childcare, car costs, house adaptations and education under the Children Act 1989.

Become an appointee for someone claiming benefits

Be an appointee to manage someone’s benefit claims and entitlements if they’re unable to do it because of disability or mental incapacity.

Benefit enquiry line

Contact the benefit enquiry line for help and advice with making a claim if you are disabled or a carer

Benefits adviser

Find out what benefits you could get, how much you could get and how to claim.

Carers UK

Get advice and support for carers and the people they care for – the link shows telephone, email, opening hours, website.

Complain about the Disability and Carers Service

How to complain about the Disability and Carers Service if you’re unhappy with the service you have received.